Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reincarnation and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jason: I am sad that Grandpa Sol died - really sad. I still want to know if people come back again. If they come back a baby.
Me: I know, you've asked that before but we don't know. We don't know what happens when you die because we are still alive.
Jason: But Mommy, I just want to know what happens - that's all. You are not telling me the truth.
Me: I am telling you the truth, Jason. We don't know the answer. You only know the answer once you die.
Jason [exasperated]: But, then people WON'T remember once they are born new babies. They WON'T be able to tell us!

Sydney: Mommy, why in the old days did they have signs that said "Black" or "White" for where people with different color skin should go? I mean, in the days of Martin Luther King?
Me: I don't know, but it was wrong. It was wrong because we are all people and nobody should be treated better than anyone else.
Sydney: I know - I learned all about it in school. Did you know there was a lady who didn't know that people with brown skin had to sit in the back of the bus, so she sat where the white people sat. And the police came and took her away?!
Me: Yes, her name was Rosa Parks.
Sydney: Yeah, that was really sad. If I had white skin and you had brown skin we wouldn't have been able to sit together. But then Martin Luther King came and fixed it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment