Monday, January 24, 2011

Pain and movies

Jason: Do you know what? My ear was hurting so bad that I just couldn’t stand it. I asked God to help me feel better, but he didn’t want to help me. Why?
Me: I don’t know, Jason. Sometimes things just hurt. But you did finally get better, right?
Jason: Yes, I feel better now. But I am afraid I am going to have a nightmare from that movie at Lucas’ birthday party – Underdog. It was scary in parts, and I just can’t get it out of my brain. I know I am going to have nightmares about it.
[Jason suddenly developed a bad internal ear infection that was misdiagnosed as "swimmer's ear", and his eardrum burst before he got the right medicine - oral antibiotics]

Sydney: Why do they make scary movies? I don’t like it. Underdog had bad guys in it that scared me. I don't want to have bad dreams. I like nice girl movies with happy endings. Movies about nice things – why don’t they make more of those? Why don’t they make only those kinds of nice movies?
Me: Well, they think the scary parts make a movie more exciting. Even princess movies, like Snow White and Cinderella, have bad guys. But they usually do have a happy ending…

No comments:

Post a Comment